Grande Provence Estate
Grande Provence Estate wears her 300-year history with dignity. Sitting in the magnificent Franschhoek Valley in South Africa’s Western Cape, her lush vines spread across 30 hectares with gentle vistas over the valley floor, at odds almost with the rugged mountains beyond. This is heartland South African wine country.
Capturing the essence of the heritage of this gracious Estate, are Grande Provence’s design team. The honest simplicity of its Cape Dutch architecture, in harmony with the precision and clarity of modern design, brings a new pièce de résistance to the Franschhoek valley, which is already richly enhanced by the heritage of its early French Huguenot settlers.
Framing the entry road are rows of vineyards, heavy with the promise of next year’s vintage. Here, one bears witness to the duality of old and new settling into an elegant co-existence: old trees take root amongst the 300-year old oaks and manicured hedges blend with the free form of the natural surroundings to create a landscaped Eden. Gracefully governing the setting is the 18th Century Manor House, while The Owner’s Cottage welcomes guests to boutique accommodation. Five sumptuous rooms provide a quiet and intimate repose; the tranquility of the lake provides a restful escape for the soul.
Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate is a destination in its own right. The Estate offers guests the opportunity to taste its own elegant, award-winning wines, and better still experience how superbly they complement the cuisine of Executive chef, Darren Roberts, at The Restaurant. This establishment has a reputation for clever combinations of flavours, beautiful presentation as well as attentive service. The Jonkershuis is perfect for a private reception, an exquisite small wedding or a small conference. Nearby, The Gallery regularly exhibits the work of South Africa’s emerging, as well as most established artists. The Shop presents a carefully selected collection of art and craft within the context of a sophisticated interior design setting.
Location and Transfers
Located in the Franschhoek Valley in South Africa’s Western Cape, approximately one hour from Cape Town by car.
The 5-star graded Owner’s Cottage offers luxurious and private ensuite accommodation to a maximum of 10 guests within a charming complex of historically significant Cape Dutch buildings. The Cottage is reserved exclusively for use by one guest or one party and not on an individual multiple bookings basis.
Cottage facilities and appointments
- Boutique accommodation comprises five beautifully designed bedrooms including a de-luxe Honeymoon Suite, a spacious lounge, latest technology kitchen and conservatory
- Kitchen includes microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee machine and large double refrigerator for guest use. Daily housekeeping service is provided
- Bed linen comprises finest 400-thread count percale linen with feather and down pillows (hypo allergenic also available upon request), king-size beds in all rooms can be re-confiqured as two singles if required. Turndown is done every evening
- Bathroom amenities provided are bathrobes, slippers, Rain shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body scrub and body lotion. Shaving, dental and sewing kits are available should the need arise
- A beautifully appointed logia and entertaining area adjacent to the pool is perfect for alfresco dining on those balmy African evenings. A state-of-the art barbecue and your own chef completes the pictureThe Conservatory at The Owner’s Cottage is ideal for private entertaining or a small business meeting
- Full breakfast, with complimentary newspapers as well as a three-course dinner are included within the tariff, on a daily basis
- Guests dine in The Angels Garden or at The Restaurant and savour cuisine that embraces a deceptively simple fresh style, using traditional French techniques – with a contemporary twist, utilizing finest local produce
- Individual private dining venues can be arranged anywhere within the Estate on request
- The award-winning premium range GP wines and a selection of spirits and soft drinks, are all included within the tariff
Facilities and Activities
Spa Treatments – in the privacy of your room or by the pool
Yoga & Pilates – private classes in the relaxing environment of The Owner’s Cottage
Guided Tours & Day Trips
Golf – choose from one of the many golf courses in the area
Helicopter Flights – helicopter pad on-site